Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How Netflix saved My Train for 5k Efforts

     Recently, my treadmill decided to take a little vacation (aka, stopped working). In the past, I would have probably thrown in the towel on my Train for 5K efforts. However, this time was different.  I decided not to quit, or be tempted to quit by taking a long break.  Since the Pennsylvania ice and snow eliminated the option of running outside, I had to be creative.
     My husband and I subscribe to Netflix.  We are not huge movie buffs, but we enjoy watching a movie every now and then.  We can use Netflix to stream movies through our blue-ray player, and our girls LOVE having a Netflix family movie night.  
      When my treadmill broke, I began looking for an exercise video to keep me moving.  I have several on DVD.  However, I am quite bored with the old standbys.  Additionally, I find that the cardio workout I get from my old videos, does not even come close to the cardio workout I get on my treadmill.  A day or two after my treadmill broke; I had a stroke of genius (it happens occasionally).  I thought to check out Netflix, for workout videos.  To my surprise, they actually had a nice selection, and several of the workouts were available for streaming.  I chose to stream Self Magazine - Slim and Sleek Fast.  I really, really liked it.  It lasts about 45 minutes and is broken into several sections.  Most importantly, when I was finished, my body felt like I actually worked out.  I think this was taped in 2005, so it is not a new cutting edge workout.  However, it kept me moving.  Once my handy hubby fixed our treadmill, I was able to pick up right where I left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment